Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Jason becomes a Commander

This post is WAY overdue! On April 15 (see way overdue) Jason took command of the 11ACR Horse detachment. For non Army...after a soldier becomes a Captain the goal is to take command of a company/Troop (which is a smaller unit within a larger unit or Battalion/Squadron). This command is intended to exercise the leadership skills the captain learns in Captains Career Course and is necessary for advancement in their Army career. Often after completing career course the captain does a staff job while waiting for a command in their career field to open up. Well Jason was luckily enough to score this perfect job for him while waiting for a career qualifying command to open.


As the Horse Detachment commander he is in charge of a small group of 15ish guys and a handful of horses/goats/donkeys.


The Detachment is used to represent the Army at rodeos and parades as well as act as a mounted color guard at formations and other events. If you know Jason this job is great for him! He loves the tradition and the Cavalry and that what this job is all about. And the best part is his new uniform is Wrangler jeans and a t-shirt and either a baseball cap or cowboy hat. Love it!


Since there are so few of these units in the Army there are also few commanders so when he took command there was a huge write up on the 2nd page of our post paper!  I expect this to be a great year at the stables!

3 comments:

Megan said...

Congrats! Sounds like a fun job!

Angie said...

WAY overdue AND why are your pictures so tiny....I can't see them well and I want to see Jason's crazy leather things (I am from TX I know what they are called, but the pregnancy brain mush temporarily got me) better!

Danielle Phillips said...

I know Ang! The pictures were "borrowed" from Facebook so they transfer tiny tiny but I am thinking of making Jason do a fashion show of sorts to show off the 4 uniforms and all their crazy accessories! Keep an eye out for it ;-)