Friday, May 28, 2010

Parenting the Strong Willed Child

I first heard of the book Parenting the Strong-willed Child in this blog on Chronicles of a Babywise mom. I have now read the book my self and believe that I could benefit from applying the methods discusses in the book to our "parenting plan".

The book is set up in a 5 week program, each week teaching a new skill and then teaching how to apply this new skill in order to show yourself and the child how to work through situations/commands/request from each other with out freaking out or breaking down. 

I am by no means saying that Clayton is a horrific or even bad child but I will say that he and I are testing wills a lot lately and it is nice to have a way to get through this without losing our relationship or me giving in to avoid arguing therefore losing control over him. I believe it is my responsability to make him a functioning person in society and a well rounded citizen...and if he is going to defy every request put upon him that is never going to happen! 

I am starting a preschool prep curriculum next week to keep us both busy and learning through the summer and thought it would be a great time to through in the 5 week program as well...we have never eased him into anything...cold turkey is our way to go. So my plan is to start the week with a little preview of the weeks lesson and my hopes and then recap what we learned and how the skill is working. 

I am excited and hope that by the end of the summer my little guy and I can communicate better with out so many tears and timeouts (for mommy) : )  

No comments: