Lately Clayton has been waking up in the middle of the night, around 3 or 4, crying like he had a bad dream or is uncomfortable. Monday night he went to bed really late, his grandparents were in town so we cheated and let him stay up late. About 2 hours after he went to sleep he woke up SCREAMING! I thought something was really wrong so I went in his room to find him standing up in the middle of the crib with tears just pouring out of his eyes. I reached for him to comfort him and he acted like I was not even there. So i picked him up and started to rock him but then he pulled away from me and looked straight at me said something and thrashed backwards almost falling out of my arms. At this point I realized he wasn't awake so I cut the light on in his room and tried to talk to him but there was no response. I thought he was dreaming so I decided to rock him for a few minutes and lay him back down. But he kept thrashing and screaming out then I realized his eyes were rolling back in his head...my first thought was a seizure. I brought him into our room and woke Jason. He took C and started talking to him trying to make him aware of where he was. Clayton acted like he wanted down so Jason set him on the floor thinking maybe he was trying to tell us something...Clayton threw himself on the floor and rolled under our bed hitting his head.
Then it dawned on me...my psych degree kicked in and I realized he was having a night terror. I of course googled it and looked it up in What to Expect. Text book case! After we knew what was happening we also knew that the worse thing you can do is wake he...like a sleep walker. In the end he calmed down and went back into a real sleep.
I have since been researching this and learned that the best way to prevent it is enough sleep and a steady schedule...duh right up my ally!! More proof that I am not crazy for making C have a strict schedule.
I wanted to share this with my mom friends out there...it scared the crap out of me at first but now I know how to handle it ...don't wake him and just watch him to make sure he doesn't hurt himself and that he does go back into a deep sleep. I had read of this kind of thing but never seen it...pretty scary to see my baby boy so out of control!
1 comment:
OMG I would have Freaked out for REAL!!! So so so scary. Poor thing :( I have very very vivid and horrible nightmares and sometimes kye will wake up screaming in the middle of the night and I think he may already have them too but gah that is so much worse than just a bad dream! At least that schedule will hopefully help :)
Post a Comment