Thursday, December 9, 2010

San Diego Day 2...USS Midway and Little Italy

Before I start on Day 2 of our Thanksgiving trip I wanted to add this picture from the day before. For Thanksgiving day dinner we decided to grab some fast food and the only thing really close to the Navy Base we were staying at was McDonald's and Dell Taco and by that point we were sick of McDs so Dell Taco it was. Jason ordered these jalapenos rings, which were nothing more than fried jalapenos. Well he left some sitting on the table after dinner and Clayton helped himself to them...needless to say he was not a fan! This is him trying to wipe off the hot...he never cried and it was actually pretty funny.  
We started day 2 off to a really slow start. I was super tired from the day before at Sea World so we slept in a little. After taking our time getting dressed and eating the "yummy" free breakfast provided by the hotel we headed to the NEX or Navy Exchange aka Walmart on post. Keep in mind it was black Friday...bad idea!!! All I wanted was a tax free Christmas tree. It was not worth the people and their trees were ugly so we left.

Clayton had been talking about the big boats everywhere. This one was right outside the base and he loved looking at while he ate breakfast. We told him later in the day we were going to go to a really big boat he could climb on and he was really excited...more to come on that!

Before the big boat preggers needed to eat and I was TIRED of fast food. Jason asked me if I was craving anything and I for whatever reason I had been craving fettuccine Alfredo. We really didn't know a whole lot about San Diego so we drove around looking for something that might have fettuccine Alfredo...low and behold LITTLE ITALY!!! We ate at this really cute sidewalk cafe. We sat outside because in hopes that C would be quiet out there where he could watch cars and people. Worked out well and the food was great! I forgot to take pictures though or what the name of the restaurant was! Oops

So remember how I said C was really excited about the big boat...yeah he fell asleep as we pulled into the parking lot and slept through the whole thing in his stroller! Good thing his ticket was free...as was J's again because he is military : )

The big boat was the USS Midway and I'm sure we will be visiting this again before we move so that we can take the guided tour. We ran out of time and I felt really bad for Jason because I know he was looking forward to it.

I have always loved this "Welcome Home" statue. Makes me tear up every time I see pictures of the memorial or the picture.

Oh and remember that boat that was stranded at sea off the coast of San Diego a few weeks ago...well here it is.

That was out Thanksgiving trip for 2010 and I am already in the stages of planning next years trip to Disney Land hopefully!

No comments: