Monday, October 12, 2009

Grandparents

I wanted to take a moment to talk about grandparents. Clayton is fortunate and blessed with 3 grandmothers, 3 grandfathers, 2 great-grandmothers and 1 great grandfather. Unfortunately many grandparents also makes for some tricky holidays but I'm sure I will blog about that later with the holidays, in which we will be homeless are coming up! This past weekend Jason's grandparents came to visit us and it was one of the best weekends we have had in a while. There was no pressure to keep them entertained the whole time yet I feel like they really got a little glimpse into their great grandson's life. I have always wondered what it must feel like to see your parenting show through into your grand kids let alone your great grand kids. That is lessons and wisdom being passed to your kids, their kids, and their kids...that is so awesome to me!

Clayton and his great grandparents (October 2009)
Recently, my grandmother was hospitalized, she is doing much better and and taking much better care of herself now but for about a week I was forced to really look into our relationship and experience that whole issue of not knowing if they truly understand you or how you feel about them. Time becomes a gift and one that should never be taken for granted.

I hope that we are doing a good job of making sure that Clayton knows ALL of his loving grandparents and even though we are not able to see them very often that we take every opportunity to expose him to their love and life lessons. I hope that when our grandparents, C's great grandparents, look at our lives they are able to be proud that they raised children that were able to raise Jason and I so that we could pass all that knowledge and wisdom on to Clayton.

The history of our grandparents is remembered not with rose petals but in the laughter and tears of their children and their children's children. It is into us that the lives of grandparents have gone. It is in us that their history becomes a future. ~Charles and Ann Morse

1 comment:

Megan said...

I think that's great that Clayton has so many grandparents!

Glad to hear that your Grandmother is doing better!